We all know that moving can be a stressful time, but if you use our helpful checklist when you are preparing for your move, it may relieve some of the stress.
One Month Before Moving
- Call 1-800-829-1040 to obtain an IRS change of address form.
- Update driver, pet and other license data, and voter, vehicle and vessel registrations.
- Gather Moving Supplies, boxes, tape and rope.
- Make any necessary travel arrangements like airline, hotel and car reservations.
- Get Estimates from Moving/ Rental Trucks Companies
- Select Mover/Rental Truck Company and confirm date of move.
- Finalize Real Estate needs.
- Place legal, medical and insurance records in a safe accessible place.
- Use the change of address form to tell your Post Office of your move.
- Redirect newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- Inform friends and family members.
- Notify banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions.
- Notify doctors, dentists, vets and other service providers. Obtain Current Records.
- Notify state and federal tax authorities and government agencies.
- Save moving receipts(many moving expenses are tax deductibles; speak with your tax adviser about your moving expenses.)
- Register & Transfer records/transcripts to new schools.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Inform gas, water, electric, local telephone and trash removal services of your move. Recover any deposits from your current accounts.
- Sign up for services at your new address.
- Inform phone company of your move.
- Recruit moving day help.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Arrange to close or transfer your bank accounts, if appropriate.
The Day Before Moving
- Set Aside moving materials like tape measure, pocket knife, packing boxes and markets.
- Pick up rental truck.
- Check oil and gas in your car.
- If traveling, check that have you have tickets, charge cards and other essentials.